Seven sheep have died in North Yorkshire after a set of security gates
were deliberately tied up and left open.
The incident at the region's Moors National Park, which was granted this status in 1952, has sparked calls for visitors to be more considerate when they are walking through the area. The valuable sheep, estimated to be worth £2,500, wandered off and were poisoned presumably through eating ivy or rhododendron in nearby woodland.
Now owners of the farms around the park have made steps to ensure that this problem does not happen again. Mike Cleasby, manager of one of the farms, has put pictures of the dead sheep on gates to make sure visitors close them and stop the animals from escaping.
Mr Cleasby said: "To deliberately tie open a gate in a field where livestock are kept just beggars belief. Not only am I out of pocket for the sheep but I’ve also had to pay to get them taken away and disposed of."
Contact us for a security fencing quote