The search for a permanent tenant of the Olympic stadium after the Games continues, but contractors have been reassured that the setback will not affect any construction plans.
London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) revealed on Monday (May 14th) that it would be extending the deadline for bidders to submit applications for another eight weeks due to a lack of potential tenants applying to take on the 80,000-seater stadium after the Games.
The newly-built structure has been at the centre of fiercely contested bidding war from a number of parties namely Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United.
The east London club was originally awarded the tenancy of the stadium but this sparked a legal challenge by both Tottenham and League One side Leyton Orient who claimed that they had been overlooked in favour of West Ham.
LLDC claimed that despite these delays the construction work will not be affected, and if the either bidder is successful it is expected that the ground will be reduced to 60,000 seats.
Andrew Altman, chief executive of the company, said: “The fundamentals have not changed and it remains our intention to sign construction contracts for converting the stadium at the end of October."
West Ham and Tottenham have been vying to make the stadium their home but it has sparked a bitter war of words and has led to four suspects being arrested by the police after the north London side was accused of spying on the Olympic committee during a visit.
Tottenham categorically denied this claim and stated that they "totally reject the accusation in the strongest possible terms".
The main stumbling block for Spurs, who have withdrawn their bid, and Leyton Orient, who submitted a bid in October 2011, is the athletics track.
Both sides wanted to either remove or cover up the running track as part of the construction but West Ham claimed they were to keep the facility which was said to be integral to the legacy of the Games.
Contact us for a security fencing quote