How does Jacksons acoustic fencing work?
Whether it’s noisy neighbours, the sound of busy roads or the hubbub associated with commercial premises, acoustic fencing is the ideal solution in a wide variety of situations.
In virtually every application for an environmental noise barrier, at least one reflective plane will be present from which sound can be reflected. by introducing a barrier of sufficient mass, the way sound travels is disrupted therefore reflecting it off the face of the barrier.
In a situation such as road traffic, sound or noise has two basic ways from getting from one side of a barrier to the other:
- Transmission through the barrier
Diffraction over or around the barrier
Noise is most audible in ‘Illuminated Zone’, whereas the ‘Shadow Zone’ created by the barrier provides a protected acoustic shadow of reduced noise levels.
The effectiveness of an acoustic barrier is determined by five main factors:
- Material Density
- Barrier Construction
- Barrier Height
- Distance between noise source and receiver
Relative height of source and receiver with respect to barrier
Material density and barrier construction relate to sound transmission in practical terms, the greater the mass of the barrier the less the sound. However, the structural integrity of the barrier is critical to its performance as gaps will allow sound to find a direct path through the barrier – therefore it is vital that acoustic fencing should be constructed with no air gaps and sealed to the ground to prevent sound leaking through. On top of this, acoustic barriers should be placed as close as is conveniently possible to the source of the noise to obtain optimum performance.
Jacksons Jakoustic® reflective barrier features 34mm wide timber interlocking ‘vee’ boards to minimise gaps that sound can easily travel through. Jakoustic reflective barriers also feature unique tuning fork posts and can accommodate for changes in ground level to ensure the maximum possible noise reduction. The fencing’s anti-climb and scale design provides additional security and privacy and comes with a 25 year Jakcure® guarantee.
Jakoustic® PLUS Absorptive Layer
Our Jakoustic® PLUS contains an absorptive layer made up of Rockwool fibre and covered with a protective membrane on one side. Like Jakoustic reflective, Jakoustic PLUS features interlocking ‘vee’ boards, unique tuning fork posts and can accommodate changes in ground level. Anti-climb and scale design provide extra security and privacy while the 25 year Jakcure guarantee ensures low lifetime cost.
Ready to find our more? Let us help you overcome your noise problem.
Request Quote for Acoustic Fencing
Available styles of acoustic fencing
- 12k Acoustic Envirofence: Lighter than our usual Jakoustic fencing, 12k Envirofence is perfect for installations where the required noise reduction is lower that that which would be provided by the standard Jakoustic range.
- Jakoustic Reflective: Our Jakoustic Reflective barrier uses heavy section planed timber boards to reflect noise away, reducing noise by up to 28dB*. With anti climb and scale design, Jakoustic Reflective offers both privacy and security and comes with a 25 year Jakcure® guarantee.
- Jakoustic PLUS: Jakoustic PLUS is a perfect solution where a noise source is in a tight confined area and surrounded by reflective surfaces. The barrier features an absorptive layer made up of Rockwool fibre and a protective membrane to reduce noise by up to 32dB.**
- Jakoustic Commercial and Highway: Designed for commercial and highway use, our Jakoustic Barrier provides noise protection whilst also complying with the stringent Highways Agency standards BSEN 1794-1 & 2 and utilises steel I-beam posts.
- Trident High Security: Trident® Jakoustic 2 and Trident Jakoustic 3 provide a blend of noise reduction and high security. Trident Jakoustic 2 combines Jacksons acoustic fencing with steel mesh lining making the fence difficult to scale or penetrate whilst Trident Jakoustic 3 features a high security mesh interlining to maintain an attractive ‘natural’ appearance.
- Acoustic Gates: Our acoustic gates ensure maximum effectiveness when integrated with Jacksons’ acoustic fencing. Available as swing or sliding gates and manual or automated operations.
*Jakoustic® barrier certified laboratory results: Rating according to BS EN 1793-2:1998 Category = B3 Laboratory sound reduction 28 dB Superficial mass 25kg/m²
**Jakoustic® Plus barrier certified laboratory results: Category B3 rating according to BS EN 1793-2:1998
Category A3 rating according to BS EN 1793-1:1998
Laboratory sound reduction 32 dB Approximate Superficial Mass 28kg/m²
Take a look at the video below to hear the massive difference Jacksons acoustic fencing can make. (Make sure you have sound on!)