The volume of construction workloads, projects which could include the installation of security fencing, is forecast to fall by more than ten per cent across the next two years.

That is the economic prediction from Hewes & Associates, which has been analysing the situation in the wake of the government's Comprehensive Spending Review last month.

Its forecasts suggest that while there was a 5.6 per cent rise in construction this year, 2011 will see a fall of 5.8 per cent, with a drop of 4.8 per cent coming in 2012 – a total fall of 10.6 per cent.

This drop, Hewes feels, will be a consequence of cuts to public funding, because the gap left behind will not being sufficiently filled by the private sector.

Brian Green, writing for, said that, while there was "confusion" in making sense of official construction figures – citing analysts' surprise at this year's positive rise – in the end, only time will tell.

"Not until we see the effects of a fall away in public funding will we really start to gain a clear picture of the landscape ahead for construction," he said.